Human decency and the love of pets combine for this totally heartwarming story.
Southwest Airlines wins the week!
As first reported in People, Southwest teamed up with Texas rescue group, Operation Pets Alive!, and San Diego’s Helen Woodward Animal Center, (HWAC) to fly over 60 displaced pets out of areas of Texas affected by Hurricane Harvey.
The fur babies got to ride in the cabin.
And the pup in the Twitter photo below got to check out the cockpit and make sure the Captain was “flying right.”
Four veterinarians from Helen Woodward Animal Center were on the flight to provide care for the pets
Caring For The Silent Victims
“These are the silent victims. There are shelters that have been devastated by Hurricane Harvey, without electricity, without supplies,” President of HWAC, Mike Arms, said in a statement.
More wonderful photos from the flight below…
These fine flying pets have already been adopted in California.
See Facebook video below, it’s wonderful!
You adore your pets. Here’s how you can show your love and give them a wonderfully loving gift box every month. Perhaps best of all, PetGiftBox supports hundreds of shelters all around the USA!
Subscribe To PetGiftBox
It’s a monthly subscription-based service that sends a themed box of hand-selected treats and toys specifically created for cats and dogs. There are never any large upfront fees. It’s like throwing a birthday party for your pets every month, but easier and far less expensive too!
PetGiftBox is billed monthly for every plan,
that way even a dog on a budget can enjoy!
Enter the coupon code petgiftblog at checkout to save 20% on your first order.
How You Can Help
(Thanks to People For This List)
- A GoFundMe page has been set up by 4 Paws Farm and the I Love My Dog Team to raise donations for veterinary care, food, and bedding for animals impacte by Hurricane Harvey. To date, the fundraiser has surpassed its original goal, raising almost $50K in just a few days. Click here for more information and to donate.
- Best Friends Animal Society, the first animal rescue on the ground during Hurricane Katrina, has deployed its disaster response team to Texas to help rescue stranded animals, deliver supplies and transport displaced pets. You can donate to the disaster relief fund here.
- The SPCA of Texas is working to evacuate pets out of the affected ares and is helping to provide resources on pet-friendly housing to those evacuating the Houston area. The SPCA of Texas is accepting donations here.
- Austin Pets Alive! Is moving as many displaced animals as possible into its shelter and is working on adopting out the animals currently residing there, so it has more room for Harvey evacuees. The rescue is looking for financial donations and potential adopters, learn more here.
- American Humane is working to rescue animals from the flood waters, as well, and is also providing hundreds of pounds of pet food to pet owners and their animals currently displaced by Harvey. To support these efforts, click here.
- The Humane Society of the United States has several on-the-ground response teams rescuing animals and helping people with pets get to safety. It recently took the lead in organizing a flight of shelter dogs from Texas to New Jersey. Readers can donate towards the rescue effort by clicking here.
story first reported in People.